Thursday, 24 June 2010
Lace & Taffeta & A Bit of Squinting
My mother came to visit the other day, partly to see a group show I'm in that recently opened, and took these outfit photographs while she was here. (Thanks!)
• 1950's Neusteters lace and taffeta dress, eBay.
• Black Ambra bamboo tights.
• Pink 'Steve Madden' brogues.
• Pale pink beaded crochet beret, from Forever New (yes I am going to a special kind of hell!)
• Cue wool cardigan, secondhand.
The book in my hands is a copy of "The Secret Lives of People In Love" by Simon Van Booy. It's the kind of book that I will always carry with me, along with other beloveds like "A Literate Passion", "Notes of a Dirty Old Man", "I Capture The Castle", "La Batarde" and "The Secret Garden". There are certain books I love to pieces, and over the years my love for them becomes just as much about the specific book, the object, the pages I've dogeared and marked, the peeling spine; as much as it is about the writing.