Sunday, 29 November 2009
I'm sorry this took me so long to do! I'm on another headdress kick at the moment - if you could see my eBay watch list! It's all feathers and 1920's fabric scraps as far as the eye can see.
I think calling this a tutorial is a bit of a stretch - it's just a rough sketch of the most basic way to make these little things. So feel free to improvise and improve on my methods if you choose to make your own headdress.
• One piece of ribbon or lace trim, cut to desired length of headdress.
• One piece of velvet ribbon, long enough to tie in a bow around your head.
• As many feathers as you want! I prefer to find and collect my own if I can, rather than buying them in packets.
• Sew-on rhinestones (optional)
• Sewing machine, thread, craft glue.
1. First, I put on some decent music. Today it was cLOUDDEAD. Then I arrange the feathers on a flat surface exactly the way I'd like them on the headdress.
2. Then I thread the feather spines through the stitching on the back of the ribbon/lace trim, thus securing them a bit. Then I add a touch of glue at the stitching just to keep them in place. I let it dry.
3. Then I sew the velvet ribbon on the front of the trim, using them same colour thread as the ribbon.
4. Then I hand-sew the rhinestones onto the ribbon.