Photograph by Robyn Stacey of the Macleay Butterfly Cabinet from the NMA journal archives.
Another strange piece of inspiration. I stumbled across this image online this morning. The colours struck me immediately. I put together three outfits based on the kinds of colours in this beautifully arranged butterfly cabinet, based on a simple outfit of taupe boots (Mollini), lilac stockings (We Love Colors) and a brown lace slip (St. Vinnies):
In this outfit, I added:
• 1960's tweed cape, bought at a vintage market.
• Ivory 'Cue' galaxy-style dress.
• Grosgrain ribbon belt, borrowed from a vintage lace dress.
In this weird colour combination, I added:
• Blue silk and organza scalloped dress, 1950's, eBay.
• Yellow cardigan, 'Avocado'.
• Mustard belt, borrowed from an old 'Cue' dress.
• Blue beret, eBay.
And in this, I added:
• Turquoise heavy duchesse satin 1950's tulip dress, vintage store on King St, Newtown.
• Multicoloured knit cap, bought by my sister in Chile.